Reimagining the character of professional education
Virtues & Vocations is a national forum for scholars and practitioners across disciplines to consider how best to cultivate character in pre-professional and professional education.
Weekly Webinars - Reimagining Education: Conversations on Character, Commitment & Community
Good Thought — Showcasing scholars from various disciplines reflecting on how issues of virtue and vocation intersect with their work in higher education.
Good Work — Examining different institutions that are addressing issues of virtue and vocation through curricular and co-curricular initiatives.
Good Read — Highlighting inspirational and engaging books about virtue, vocation, purpose, and the state of higher education.
Stay in Touch
Watch a Clip Watch the Video
On January 20, 2021, Virtues & Vocations hosted a meeting on character in medicine with Joseph Jackson, MD (Associate Dean in the Duke University School of Medicine and Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics) in conversation with Lydia Dugdale, MD, MAR (Professor of Medicine and Director, Columbia Center for Medical Ethics), Reeni Abraham, MD (Associate Professor of Medicine and Co-Director, Internal Medicine Clerkship, University of Texas – Southwestern Medical Center) and Andrea Leep Hunderfund, MD (Associate Professor of Neurology, Mayo Clinic).
Watch the Video
As part of the Good Reason: Purpose & Public Policy workshop at Duke University, Virtues & Vocations welcomed Dr. Vivek Murthy, the 19th Surgeon General of the United States, nominee to be the 21st Surgeon General and co-chair of President Biden’s COVID-19 Advisory Board. Dr. Murthy spoke on Character, Community, and Public Health.
Watch the Highlights
On Nov 18, 2020, Virtues & Vocations hosted a meeting on character in engineering with Ravi Bellamkonda, the Vinik Dean of the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke University, Olga Pierrakos, the Founding Chair of the Department of Engineering at Wake Forest University, and Richard Miller, the Founding President of Olin College of Engineering.
Watch the Highlights Watch the Video
Watch the Highlights Watch the Video
The June 2020 Virtues & Vocations conference was cancelled in response to COVID-19. We will be hosting virtual engagements throughout 2020-2021, and hosting a conference in 2021.
- Suzanne Shanahan Nanerl O. Keohane Director of the Kenan Institute for Ethics Associate Research Professor, Dept of Sociology Duke University; Durham, NC
- Carole Basile Dean and Professor, Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College Arizona State University; Tempe, AZ
- Thomas Hibbs President, Professor of Philosophy University of Dallas; Irving, TX
- L. Gregory Jones Dean of the Divinity School Ruth W. and A. Morris Williams Jr. Distinguished Professor of Theology & Christian Ministry Duke University; Durham, NC
- Cheryl Maurana Senior VP for Strategic Academic Partnerships; Professor of Population Health Founding Director, Kern National Network for Caring and Character in Medicine Medical College of Wisconsin; Milwaukee, WI
- Christian Miller AC Reid Professor of Philosophy Wake Forest University; Winston-Salem, NC
- Richard K. Miller President and Professor of Mechanical Engineering Olin College of Engineering; Needham, MA
- Chris Stawski Senior Fellow, Kern Family Foundation Affiliate Assistant Professor, Kern Institute for the Transformation of Medical Education, Medical College of Wisconsin
- David Toole Associate Professor of the Practice; Theology, Ethics and Global Health Associate Dean for Interdisciplinary Initiatives, Divinity School Senior Fellow, Kenan Institute for Ethics Duke University; Durham, NC