Reimagining the character of professional education
Virtues & Vocations is a national forum for scholars and practitioners across disciplines to consider how best to cultivate character in pre-professional and professional education.
DR. VIVEK MURTHY ON CHARACTER, COMMUNITY, AND PUBLIC HEALTH
JANUARY 14, 2021, 7-8pm.
As part of the Good Reason: Purpose & Public Policy workshop at Duke University, Virtues & Vocations presents Dr. Vivek Murthy, the 19th Surgeon General of the United States and co-chair of President-elect Biden’s COVID-19 Advisory Board. Dr. Murthy will speak on Character, Community, and Public Health. There will be time for audience Q&A.
PURPOSE & CHARACTER IN HIGHER EDUCATION
FEBRUARY 3, 2021, 4:30-6PM.
Virtues & Vocations presents a discussion with Wake Forest University President Nathan Hatch, author and former Morehouse College President Robert Franklin, Jr., and Bates College President Clayton Spencer. They will discuss the current state of higher education and their involvement in initiatives to make issues of purpose and character central to education.
From Our Newsletter
Stay in Touch
Virtues & Vocations recently wrapped up a series of webinars,
Reimagining Education: Conversations on Character, Community, and Crisis.
The June 2020 Virtues & Vocations conference was cancelled in response to COVID-19. We will be hosting virtual engagements throughout 2020-2021, and hosting a conference in 2021.
- Suzanne Shanahan Nanerl O. Keohane Director of the Kenan Institute for Ethics Associate Research Professor, Dept of Sociology Duke University; Durham, NC
- Carole Basile Dean and Professor, Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College Arizona State University; Tempe, AZ
- Thomas Hibbs President, Professor of Philosophy University of Dallas; Irving, TX
- L. Gregory Jones Dean of the Divinity School Ruth W. and A. Morris Williams Jr. Distinguished Professor of Theology & Christian Ministry Duke University; Durham, NC
- Cheryl Maurana Senior VP for Strategic Academic Partnerships; Professor of Population Health Founding Director, Kern National Network for Caring and Character in Medicine Medical College of Wisconsin; Milwaukee, WI
- Christian Miller AC Reid Professor of Philosophy Wake Forest University; Winston-Salem, NC
- Richard K. Miller President and Professor of Mechanical Engineering Olin College of Engineering; Needham, MA
- Chris Stawski Senior Fellow, Kern Family Foundation Affiliate Assistant Professor, Kern Institute for the Transformation of Medical Education, Medical College of Wisconsin
- David Toole Associate Professor of the Practice; Theology, Ethics and Global Health Associate Dean for Interdisciplinary Initiatives, Divinity School Senior Fellow, Kenan Institute for Ethics Duke University; Durham, NC