Global Human Rights Scholars seeks “Rights Writers,” apply by Oct. 23
The Global Human Rights Scholars Program at the Kenan Institute for Ethics is accepting applications from undergraduates interested in human rights issues to join the fourth year of the Institute’s “Rights Writers” team, where participants use a shared blog platform to explore in-depth and thoughtful analysis across a range of diverse human rights issues, shaping discussions at Duke and beyond.
The project provides a public space for students to offer their insight as well as develop analytical and writing skills, particularly with regards to writing for a general public. Global Scholars blog on a monthly basis about a human rights topic of their choice (see application for more information), read and comment on one another’s draft posts, and meet regularly to discuss. In addition, the Scholars program offers students an opportunity to engage with the work of the Duke Human Rights Center at the Kenan Institute for Ethics and its network of scholars and practitioners.
Students who enjoy writing, would like more public exposure for their writing, and who are interested in tracing developments of their chosen topic over the course of a year are especially encouraged to apply. A collection of work from the 2018-19 Scholars can be found on the Kenan Institute’s website.
Opportunities and responsibilities for the 2019-20 Kenan Global Human Rights Scholars include:
- Scholars will receive an $850 honorarium in support of their participation in the program.
- Scholars will blog! November 2019 – April 2020 (total 5 blogs), Scholars will respond to a prompt about their given topic, as well as provide comments on the draft blog of one other Scholar in the group. Blogs will be between 500-800 words.
- Scholars will attend mandatory meetings twice a month to discuss each other’s writing, their own global human rights interests as well as current events.
- The Program will include invitations to attend events and meet with human rights scholars and practitioners visiting the Kenan Institute for Ethics.
How to Apply
- Download the application form: PDF or Word Doc.
- Completed applications should be sent to Amber Díaz Pearson (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 11:59PM Wednesday, October 23. Please put “Global Scholars Application” in the subject line.
Admission is selective: five to six students will be chosen for 2019-20. Candidates may be asked for an interview and applicants will be notified of the selection decision around October 30. Please note that a welcome meeting for the selected Scholars and discussion of the first blog prompt will be held the first week of November. Questions about the application process should be directed to Amber Díaz Pearson, Research Scholar at the Kenan Institute for Ethics (email@example.com).