Kenan Summer Fellows Requirements
Spend eight consecutive weeks between mid-May and mid-August, 2019 exclusively on the project.
- Provide weekly updates, questions, and concerns to their faculty mentor.
- Write weekly reflections on their experience that will be published on the KIE website.
- Submit a five page final report critically examining their project.
- Present their projects at a symposium in Fall 2019.
- The Program is open to Duke undergraduates who are in their first or second year of study at the time of application; preference given to Ethics & Society Certificate students.
- Student with ALL backgrounds, experience and interests are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must submit a three-page proposal (12 point Times Roman maximum, single spaced, 1 in. margins) outlining their summer project. Proposals should include what they mean by living an ethical life, a detailed explanation of the project and how it addresses the issue of living an ethical life, the overall project significance, in what ways they are prepared for this project, dates of project and a detailed budget. Here is a sample proposal outline.
- Proposals must include a cover page indicating the student’s graduation year and project title.
- Applicants must have their faculty mentor write a one-page reference (maximum) indicating the faculty member’s willingness to mentor the project as well as the applicants preparedness and likelihood of successfully completing the project. This letter should also include a plan for interaction over the summer (e.g. weekly phone calls or check-ins via Skype).
- DEADLINE: Applications are due February 8th, 2019 at 4pm. Applications must be hand delivered to the front desk of the Kenan Institute (102 West Duke Building) with the faculty member’s letter in a sealed/signed envelope. No late applications or separate references accepted.
- A final decision will be made by February 22nd, 2019.
- Note that funds from KSF cannot be combined with any other Duke summer research or fellowship resources.
- If you are conducting research, you are required to go through the Campus IRB. We encourage you to start this process as soon as possible to avoid any delays in receiving your funds should you receive the fellowship.