Call for Applications: Fall 2022 Teaching on Purpose Fellows
Duke University doctoral students—do you get excited about teaching undergraduates? Do you want them to lead lives of meaning and purpose in addition to gaining valuable knowledge and thinking skills? Do you wonder about how to connect your subject matter to the “big questions” that undergraduates are grappling with?
You can apply to be a Teaching on Purpose Fellow to develop greater clarity and confidence in your purpose as a teacher and to join a community of like-minded graduate students and faculty at Duke.
Faculty are also invited to nominate graduate students from their departments whom they believe are excellent candidates for this fellowship. To do so, please email Jesse Summers at email@example.com.
Applications are now open for the Fall of 2022! The deadline is Friday, June 17, by 11:59pm. Please review eligibility requirements and commitment before applying.
- Discipline: Ph.D. student in any discipline taught at the undergraduate level (at Duke or other institutions)
- Status: Must have passed preliminary exams
- No conflicts with other funding: Participation in this program must not conflict with policies of departmental or external funding sources.
- Approval of DGS: Applicants must confirm at the time of application that their DGSs are aware that they are applying. The Purpose Project team will reach out to the DGSs of selected applicants to confirm approval of participation.
- Weekly 2.5-hour sessions (Tuesdays, 12-2:30PM, lunch provided), September 6-November 29 (no session October 11)
- Must be able to attend most sessions, with no more than 2 absences due to prior engagements (prior notification required).
- Modest preparation outside of sessions, such as short readings and written reflections (~2 hours/week)
- $3000 stipend
- What do you find most rewarding about teaching undergraduates? If you have not had the opportunity to teach undergraduates yet, what would you most look forward to? (200 words max)
- Why are you interested in the Teaching on Purpose Fellowship program? (200 words max)
- If you could develop your own course on any topic, what would you love to teach? Write a brief course description. (150 words max)
You can also read an article about the program here.