2021 Kenan Summer Fellowship Applications Open
Application Deadline: February 17th, 5pm
What does it mean to live an ethical life?
Kenan Summer Fellows spend a summer exploring—in a variety of ways—the answers to that question. Between five and six fellows receive up to $5,000 and their faculty mentors will receive $500 to support their project and spend eight consecutive weeks between mid-May and mid-August, 2021 exclusively on the project.
- The Program is open to Duke undergraduates who are in their first or second year of study at the time of application; preference given to Ethics & Society Certificate students.
- Student with ALL backgrounds, experience and interests are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must submit a three-page proposal (12 point Times Roman maximum, single spaced, 1 in. margins) outlining their summer project. Proposals should include what they mean by living an ethical life, a detailed explanation of the project and how it addresses the issue of living an ethical life, the overall project significance, in what ways they are prepared for this project, dates of project and a detailed budget. Here is a sample proposal outline.
- Proposals must include a cover page indicating the student’s graduation year and project title.
- Applicants must list the name of a faculty member that will serve as their mentor for the project. This should be agreed upon before the application is submitted, as well as a plan for interaction throughout the course of the summer (e.g. weekly phone calls or Zoom check-ins).
- DEADLINE: Applications are due February 17th, 2021 at 5pm. Applications must emailed to email@example.com. No late applications accepted.
- A final decision will be made by February 19th, 2021.
- Note that funds from KSF cannot be combined with any other Duke summer research or fellowship resources.
- If you are conducting research, you are required to go through the Campus IRB. We encourage you to start this process as soon as possible to avoid any delays in receiving your funds should you receive the fellowship.